Monday, November 27, 2006

Design/Code/Test iterations

This has truly been a great learning experience. Not only have I received a great refresher course in C and developed a pretty good understanding of microcontrollers, but the insights into the software development process this project has provided are phenomenal. I am constantly revising the design document as new challenges and unforeseen issues arise. Our document is not in the shape it should be yet because it is missing several key components like the "readme" to indoctrinate newcomers and provide a high level view of the project. I feel the highest priority is getting Kevin some decent code which will hopefully work, is very well documented so that Doxygen can generate a great API for it, and has a solid basis in the design document. I have only concentrated on the design aspects of our document so far and all my code is heavily documented now following Kevin's coding conventions and Doxygen formats.

The Doxygen output will largely be a duplication of the design document so I don't think including it would be a good idea. I would like to submit the code I've written for some small part of my grade though. My plan is to finish coding over the next week and then spend time with the real board at Vertical Power testing while using the evening and night hours to refine our documents to include some of the nicer tidbits which should be part of a comprehensive document.

I must admit there were two or three weeks where I had pressing issues with my children and my custody battle to attend to and I only put 5-10 hours in. I felt bad about those weeks since this project was so immense (considering all that had to be learned and done). The rest of the time I have been committing at least 15 and usually 20+ hours to getting this thing done and I'm finally beginning to see the benefits of all I've learned. I'm also starting to feel a little proud of what we've done. Kevin's faith will not be totally misplaced, and that's another good thing.

No comments: